Utility Scale Plant Performance Testing
Direct Steam Flash Steam (Single and Double) Binary
Combined Cycle (Direct Steam or Flash Steam with Binary)
- Power Output
- Steam/Brine Consumption
- Noise Tests
- Steam Quality by Calorimeter
- Capability Tests
- Auxiliary Systems Load
- Steam Turbine
- Binary Turbine
- Heat Exchanger (Vaporizer and Regenerator)
- Cooling Tower
- Injection Pump
- Circulation Pump
McHale Performance has technical advisors that are experienced in serving as “owner’s engineers” that identify, quantify, and mitigate risks associated with plant performance for our clients. We have assisted project owners, financial institutions, and legal counsel with advising/consulting services and performance audits. McHale Advisors understand the importance of reviewing proposed designs, development of strong contractual language, construction monitoring, and witnessing of key tests to ensure performance guarantees are achieved with confidence so to ensure the success of a project.
Test Code Specialists
McHale Performance is recognized throughout the power generation market as a specialized engineering group that provides superior testing and plant performance improvement services. McHale is actively involved and versed in the ASME Test codes Applicable to Geothermal Performance testing:
- ASME PTC 46 – Overall Plant Performance
- ASME PTC 6 – Steam Turbines
- ASME PTC 19.1 – Test Uncertainty
- ASME PTC 19.22 – Data Acquisition Systems
- ASME PTC 19.5 – Flow Measurement
- ASME PTC 12.2 Steam Surface Condenser
- ASME PTC 36 Measurement of Industrial Sound
- CTI ATC-105 – Acceptance Test Code for Water Cooling Tower
- CTI ATC-140 – Isokinetic Drift Test Code
- CTI ATC-150 – Acceptance Test Procedure for Wet Dry Plume Abatement Cooling Tower
We are experienced on how to properly apply these codes and other international standards to successfully demonstrate contractual acceptance with the level confidence for lenders, owners, OEM’s and EPC’s demand.
Qualified & Impartial Test Personnel
McHale has worked with a variety of EPC contractors, plant owners, and manufacturers throughout the power industry. The McHale team is known for quick response time, expertise in plant and component issues, and accurate results.
Code Compliant & Calibrated Test Equipment
McHale has a compliment of test equipment designed to augment the standard built in geothermal power plant instrumentation so to improve the uncertainty of performance testing necessary to meet the desired confidence for contractual acceptance and for provision of information for long term financial projections of the assets.
- Steam Separator/Calorimeter
- Pressure and Differential Pressure Transmitters
- Ambient Temperature, Humidity, and Wind Sensors
- Clamp on Ultrasonic Flow Meters
- Clamp on Temperature Sensors
- Immersion Temperature Sensors
- Infrared Temperature Imaging
- Mobile Data Loggers
- Simplex and 5 hole probe Pitot Tubes
- TeMihi Geothermal Project (New Zealand): Detailed performance test procedures; a site specific test spreadsheet model; valve isolation list; high accuracy temporary test instrumentation; performance test personnel to conduct the test; detailed test reports
- Toshiba Olkaria IV and Olkaria I (Kenya): high accuracy temporary test instrumentation including calorimeter for moisture determination.
- 02/2010 Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.: Served as expert witness in a case before the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce; ENEL Produzione, S.p.A. and ENEL Green Power, S.p.A. (Republic of Italy) Claimants, v. Inversiones Energéticas, Sociedad Anónima de Capital Variable ("INE") and Comisión Ejecutiva Hidroeléctrica del Río Lempa ("CEL") (Republic of El Salvador) Defendants. ICC Case N. 15888/JRF
- Raser Technologies Thermo UTC (USA): Development of test procedure, conduct of performance and availability tests.
- Hellisheidi 303 MW Geothermal (Iceland): calorimeter for moisture measurement.
- AMEC – Hudson Ranch 49.9 MW Geothermal Fuji STG (USA): Performance test protocols and procedures, pre-test uncertainty analysis, spreadsheet model, and cycle isolation list.
- LaGeo S.A. DE C.V. Central Geotermica Berlin Unit 3 Testing (El Salvador): Preparation of test procedure; pre-test uncertainty analysis; spreadsheet model; test instrumentation; conduct testing; prepare test report.